Heller Law Office
We are proud to be an advocate for personal injury victims in Fort Worth, Texas and the surrounding counties.
We are a full-service personal injury law firm dedicated to representing individuals who have been injured due to the negligence of others.
Each week get an email from our website about updates, news, features, etc.
Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer in Fort Worth, TX (Today)
If you’ve suffered a personal injury in Fort Worth, TX or the surrounding communities, the Heller Law Office can help. We offer diligent, dedicated legal representation for individuals who have experienced:
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Accidents involving big rigs
- Pedestrian accidents
- Slip, trip and fall accidents
- Dog bite injuries
- Wrongful deaths
- And other types of general negligence cases
The experienced Heller Law Office team will advocate for your rights and make sure you get the compensation you deserve during this difficult and frightening time. Plus, you will pay nothing unless you get paid. Book your free consultation now, or keep reading to learn more about personal injury lawsuits in Texas.
What is Considered a Personal Injury in Texas?
Here in the Lone Star State, you are eligible for compensation if someone else made a mistake that caused you an injury.
- Negligent behavior by homeowners, businesses, or landlords
- Poor driving, DUI, or mechanical malfunctions that occur on the roads
- Negligent pet ownership, like when people allow dangerous dogs to roam without a leash
- Slips, trips, and falls while you’re out shopping or at work
- And wrongful deaths, which happen when doctors or hospital staff don’t perform their duties correctly
Contact us immediately if you believe you have a personal injury claim. We are one of the few personal injury attorneys in Texas offering free consultations. And we guarantee you’ll pay nothing until you win a lawsuit or accept a settlement.
How Much Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Charge in Texas?
Every case is unique, but most personal injury attorneys in TX charge for the initial consultation, document preparation, legal fees, and their time. Then, they usually take a percentage of your claim or settlement. Per Texaslawhelp.org, these are called contingency fees, and they are contingent on you winning your case or “settling” on an amount before heading to court.
These costs associated with your case can add up quickly, and they’re particularly stressful for someone unable to work, paying for extra childcare, or watching expensive medical bills pile up. Here at Heller Law Office, we only charge you for our services once you get paid.
According to Texaslawhelp.org, “Most Texas lawyer referral services charge $20 for an initial 30-minute consultation.” Then, if you decide to hire an attorney, you and the attorney would discuss the various fees involved based on your case.
We do things differently at the Heller Law Office. So far, Travis Heller has helped hundreds of victims collect millions of dollars. We are confident in our ability to represent you!
How Long Does it Take to Settle a Personal Injury Case in Texas?
There is no easy answer to this question. In many cases, an insurance company will send a representative to your door rather quickly with a small check after you’ve been involved in an accident or experienced another kind of personal injury. The insurance company hopes you’ll accept this small check and drop the lawsuit. In these instances, your personal injury case would be settled within a few weeks.
But most victims don’t realize their expenses, injuries, and losses are worth a lot more than the tiny check offered by an insurance company. Victims of personal injury in Texas may be concerned only with immediate problems, like paying rent or buying groceries. They aren’t thinking about replacing their vehicle, getting physical therapy for the next six months, paying for medical devices or prescriptions in the future, or finding mental health help.
How Much Will a Personal Injury Cost the Victim?
Short answer: a personal injury victim could pay tens of thousands of dollars for their medical care and other related losses, at the very least. The bills associated with personal injuries will add up quickly and may last a long time. It depends on the type of injury you received, but you can expect to pay several thousand dollars for immediate medical attention. But that’s only the beginning.
Beyond the initial ambulance ride, surgery, medication, lost wages, and extra help around the house, some victims may endure a lifetime of problems associated with their accident. These include:
- Cognitive issues after traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Post-traumatic arthritis
- Soft tissue injuries that cause pain and discomfort for many months
- Visible scarring, which can be life-altering for children or young adults
- Ongoing fears and phobias, like cynophobia, an intense fear of all dogs, common after enduring a vicious dog attack
Sometimes, a personal injury can be life-altering. Amputees, for example, may find themselves unable to work in the career field they were educated. They’re left unable to work, but the student loan still needs to be paid. At Heller Law Office, we have experience helping all types of personal injury victims, so we understand the future costs associated with your incident.
What is “Pain and Suffering” and How Does it Work in Texas?
Here in Texas, there are two types of damages one can experience after a personal injury: economic and non-economic.
Economic damages are easy to prove with things like medical bills, pay stubs from a job you can no longer perform, auto repair estimates, and receipts for prescriptions.
Non-economic damages are not tangible. “Pain and suffering” is non-economic damage and includes physical pain, mental anguish, and emotional suffering after a personal injury.
Unlike economic damages, it’s difficult to put a number on pain and suffering. If you are now living with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) or lost a family member in a hospital setting, you’re indeed living with extreme emotional damage.
Here in TX, courts will consider the following:
- A victim’s pain and suffering at the time of the incident
- Pain and suffering caused during treatments for your injury
- Long-term pain or loss of function
- Emotional trauma caused by the accident
More Examples of Pain and Suffering in TX
If your quality of life has changed significantly because of an accident, that is also considered “pain and suffering.” For instance, if you lost a spouse in a wrongful death situation and now must figure out how to make it on your own, that is definitely something the courts will consider.
Another good example would be a young person who must live with facial scars after a dog attack. It’s difficult to put a dollar amount on the emotional damage caused by scars, but a court will take them very seriously.
Are There Caps on Personal Injury Claims in Texas?
In other words, you’re asking, “Is there a limit on the amount I can be awarded for a personal injury in Texas?” Like everything else related to personal injury cases, the answer is complicated.
Texas damage caps primarily apply in two types of cases:
- Medical malpractice: If you file a claim against a medical professional or institution for medical malpractice, then you can recover any amount of economic damages. But there is a cap on the amount of non-economic damages, like pain and suffering. In Texas, a medical malpractice non-economic damage cap exists at $250,000 from each defendant, up to $750,000 maximum, regardless of the total number of defendants.
- Government defendants: If you sue a government entity in TX, the Texas Tort Claims Act (TTCA) applies damage caps to your case. You can receive up to $250,000 per defendant or $500,000 per case for bodily injuries and miscellaneous costs. There is a separate $100,000 cap for property damage. These caps against government defendants apply to non-economic and economic damages.
When to Contact a DFW Personal Injury Attorney
If you’ve been injured in an accident, call us immediately. The experienced team at Heller Law Office is ready to fight diligently to get you every cent of compensation you deserve.
Our legal team is compassionate, quick-acting, and fast to respond. We have helped hundreds of your neighbors collect millions of dollars and can help you too. Contact us now for a free consultation. And remember, you won’t us pay anything until you get paid!